Thursday, January 21, 2010

My current experiment - non-dairy chicken tikka masala

Most of my recipe experiments are driven by my wife - she can't eat dairy or egg. However, most recipes that exclude dairy and egg go all the way over to vegan, and we just can't have that. We like our steak, our chicken, and ... well, ok, I'm the one who likes pork.

So my current experiment is going to be trying the following recipe - as always, I'll start with the theoretical recipe, and then proceed to improv my way to make it tastier. I might even remember to write down the changes this time ...

Douglas' Non-Dairy Tikka Masala

1 C cashew cream (or, as my inner 12-year-old calls it, "nut cream"; and then I laugh and laugh)
1 T vegetable oil
1 onion, large, white, chopped
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 t ginger, minced or grated
1 can whole peeled tomatoes, chopped (include juice)
1 1/2 T garam masala
1 1/2 t pure chili powder
1/2 t cayenne
1/4 C cashews, ground

For the nut cream:
1/2 C raw unsalted cashews
1 T honey

For the cashew cream:
Soak cashews in water overnight to soften them. Rinse and puree in blender along with 1 T honey. Add water to fill to 1 C.

For the sauce:
Sautee onions, garlic and ginger in hot oil until fragrant and transparent, about 8 minutes. Add garam masala, chili powder and cayenne and sautee an additional two minutes. Add chopped tomatoes along with their juices, partially cover and cook until sauce is thickened - about 20 minutes.

Add cashew cream and ground cashews, cook an additional 10 minutes to thicken.

Serve over rice and chicken.

No comments:

Post a Comment